Call 01534 733162
A migraine is usually a severe headache which is felt on one side of the head and which can last from hours to a couple of days. Some people also have other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting and an increased sensitivity to light or sound.
There are several types of migraine, including migraine:
- With aura – where warning symptoms such as tingling, numbness or seeing flashing lights occur before the headache begins.
- Without aura – where the migraine occurs without warning symptoms.
- Aura without headache– where an aura or other symptoms are experienced but a headache does not develop.
Who does it affect?
Migraine is extremely common, affecting approximately 12% of the population. It is more prevalent in women and most commonly affects adults between the ages of 25 and 55
The exact cause is unknown although it is thought to be the result of temporary changes in the chemicals and blood vessels in the brain. Migraines are very complex and can be the result of, or be exacerbated by, a variety of factors such as:
- Stress and anxiety. Many people ‘hold their tension’ in their neck and shoulders exacerbating tightness and pain.
- Squinting. This can increase tension in the muscles around the eyes, the back of the head and also neck and shoulders.
- Poor posture. This places greater strain on muscles of the neck and shoulders.
- Increased sitting / lack of physical activity. This increases stiffness of the muscles and joints.
- Muscle imbalances or faulty movement patterns. These result in certain muscles becoming overworked and tight.
- Tiredness. Lack of sleep can lower pain thresholds predisposing to pain.
- Food sensitivities.
- Nutrient deficiency. Certain micronutrients (such as magnesium) can cause or exacerbate symptoms.
Treatment needs to address the underlying cause(s) and any exacerbating factors. The underlying causes can usually be established with a thorough history and examination procedure.
Looking for Migraine Relief?
Click here to find out how Treatment at Dynamic Health could help.
“I had back and neck pain causing stiffness, headaches and sleepless nights. After treatment the pain, stiffness and headaches have reduced significantly… It took a year for my last chiropractor to achieve what was achieved in only weeks with your treatment. I’m very grateful for the treatment I have received.